Strange problem....

• TyphooTyphoo Posts: 45

We caught 3 in a peanut baited trap in 12 hours last week.

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,471

Is there a simple home made trap that I can cobble together? Just been to B&Q and they only sell poison or traps that kill. I wouldn't want to do that to the poor little thing. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 12,645

You can buy humane mouse traps.

http://www.ratbait.co.uk/muti-catch-mouse-trap-907-p.asp?variantid=4409

We have tried several and the metal ones are best because mice can eat through the plastic ones. Also, it says check them twice a day. Definitely. We forgot once and one mouse died of thirst or hunger. I have now glued a plastic bottle cap in ours which I fill with water. That way they are still alive when it's time to release them.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 7,573

I would think it has gone by now.   It would want to escape at the first opportunity.   You probably didnt see it go, they can move that fast.    As for locking the kitchen up, mice have the ability to flatten their skeletal and can get out of the tiniest hole/gap.   I would think it's gone Tootles.   

If your not happy, put the oven on high, open the back door and just leave the kitchen for a good while.   

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 13,780

Mine stuck around for a couple of weeks and drove the terrier mad trying to get to it.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,471

Oh dear....do dead mice honk? There is the most awful smell coming from the cooker. Like when a dish cloth goes manky. 

It hasn't been out to get any food. I'm fearing the worst, both for the mouse and the cooker!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 48,950

Dead mice absolutely stink image 

"...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 3,982

They certainly honk when they die after hiding from the cat in the workings on the back of a fridge. Been there, have several of those T-shirts.... image

It won't be too disgusting to handle just yet Tootles - so I'd have the cooker out & use a torch to see if you can locate & remove it. If you can't you might just have to leave the windows open for a week or so....

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 48,950

Get a couple of Neutradol jars and put them near the cooker - they neutralise smells without making the house smell like a bordello and it doesn't seem to affect people with dodgy chests image

"...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 18,299

when I was a wee boy,we once noticed the  fridge was smelling. ( the fridge had been replaced by a new fangled Fridge Freezer and had been relegated to a cupboad to keep the dog food in)

It got worse and worse and my dear late Mother kept telling us she'd emptied it, washed it out , moved it washed the floor and wall behind, but it still honked.

Many years later after she died , removed the fridge to find a dried out skeleton of a mouse wedged inside that black metal grill affair you have behind them.

Devon.