Strange problem....

TootlesTootles Posts: 1,471

Morning, we have a bit of an odd problem!  Courtesy of Sid (our kitty) we had a live mouse in the kitchen on Friday night.  It legged it behind the cooker and didnt come out.  

We took the cooker out yesterday and spotted the mouse in the bottom bit...the next second it legged it upwards and hasn't come out.  We've taken as much of the oven apart as we can but can't find it. We locked up the kitchen and left some bird food out over night but it hasn't been touched. 

Any ideas on how to tempt it out? 

There goes cooking Sunday lunch!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 12,389

Put the oven on.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 48,423

It wouldn't stop me cooking Sunday lunch. 

It'll come out eventually - I'd leave some baited traps around each night. image

"...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,471

My other half switched it on  in the hope the noise would scare it out. No luck! I can't bare the thought of cooking the little thing! 

I know it's a cliche, but is cheese the best thing to leave out??

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 48,423

You won't cook it, it's behind the cooker not in the oven and the oven is well insulated otherwise your kitchen cupboards would be singed by now. 

Despite the stories, mice aren't particularly keen on cheese - they love chocolate, peanut butter and bacon rind. 

"...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,243

Mars bar! Works every time. I hate killing them but they can cause serious problems at this time of year so they are best dealt with before the babies come!!! Remember too that they are incontinent and just wee as they go along so be very thorough in your clean up! EVERYWHERE!

Thanks Jo. I'll sacrifice a bar of dairy milk!

Good idea with the cat. He's almost blind so his other senses must be pretty good to have caught it. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 13,167

Pull the oven out so kitty can get behind at all times.   Using the oven won't harm it but the mouse will set up home in the insulation and that may harm your expensive oven.  I had one that did that and ended up having to use poisoned bait to sort it.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Eeek! Mouse wee! Yuck! Thanks for the warning!

It's definitely in the body of the cooker rather than behind it. We had the whole thing out and it scooted upwards.  We tilted the whole thing upwards and got a torch into it and the insulation is in a sort of drape formation. Lots of gaps it could have squeezed into. 

Poor little thing. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 12,389

Obelixx, if kitty is anything like the cats I've lived with it's kitty wot brought the mouse in in the first place.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 13,167

Quite likely but also the best one to catch it.  However, the foolproof method is poisoned bait.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw