Clearing overgrown garden

Hello we have just moved house and our garden is a mess. We had everything cut down but what do I do now? I'm totally new to gardening never had a garden before do I use a rake to get rid of all the debris? Thanks

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 12,667

We are almost into winter. I'd save my strength and let the cold weather and wind do the work for you.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I'm so impatient though haha I want to plant winter flowers haha
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 12,667

What sort of winter flowers do you want to plant?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • WaysideWayside Posts: 644

I'm no expert!  But first check your aspect - watch the sun through the day, to try and get an idea of different areas of the garden.  What is hot and what is not.  What is shaded, sheltered etc. That will determine some of your planting, seating and structure.  Look out your windows in the house where would you want to put your prize specimens?  You might or might not want to shade windows with future growth.

If you do have trees in mind, I'd recommend getting them in early, you normally plant them during the dormant season (I think that's Winter: November to March in the UK.)  You'll then have some structure to plant around.  Having said that you don't want a tree in the wrong place, so don't rush in if you are unsure.  You can always hire an opinion.  Or get someone to plan the garden.

There are many books for inspiration, as well as other gardens.  Our garden looks very different in the Winter to the summer, as the leaves fall, and for me I like some winter interest.  You may want some evergreens for privacy etc.

Soil types, and wetness can also determine planting.  I have a chalk garden so some plants and trees are a no-no.  Glance your local area, chances are that if it works there it will work for you.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 48,986

Ami welcome image

In your situation I'd take my time getting to know the garden and finding out what you want from it as Wayside has said.

In the meantime I'd buy some biggish pots, some multi-purpose compost and some spring flowering bulbs - tulips, narcissus, daffodils, crocus and hyacinths. 

Some ideas here

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/seeds-and-bulbs/how-to-layer-bulbs-in-a-pot/51.html

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/planting/how-to-plant-hyacinth-bulbs/163.html

they'll look gorgeous in the spring and give you something to enjoy while you work on the bigger plan image

"...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • I think I'll do that today. Should I just leave all the cut down stuff to rot away over the winter or should I rale it into a big pile and leave it there? Would it do as my compost heap?

I'd rake it into a pile and leave it over winter.  For a start it'll provide small mammals (hedgehogs, woodmice etc) with somewhere to over-winter image 

Then in the spring, when the hedgehogs have woken up and you've decided where the permanent compost heap is going to be, it can form the basis for that. 

If there are any  seedheads on the rubbish I'd try to remove as many as you can and bin them - you don't want your compost full of seeds!

"...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • That's what I've done well started it our gardens massive so I've done a small corner of it. I also bought a few winter plants and potted them and put my solar lights beside them feeling better about the garden already and not so impatient thanks for your advice guys image
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,404
    Give it a good tidy up - get rid of old pots and rubbish, cut the grass if you have any. Do some winter/spring pots like DFA says and put them near your back door to cheer you up. Winter pansies are always cheery and some spring bulbs.

What exactly have you had 'all cut down'? And how far 'cut down'? Do you just mean hedges trimmed and such like or do you really mean slash and burn type actions? ie shrubs etc cut down to soil level or thereabouts?
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

If you want to take some photos and post them on here we can try to identify things you may not be sure about, spot treasures and give you some ideas of your options and the best plan of attack.

To post photos on here you need to click on the green tree icon on the toolbar above where you type your post, and follow the instructions.  Afraid it doesn't work for iphones, yet ...

If you need any help just yell image