World Mental Health Day

LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,453

Today is WMHD.

I don't have any major mental health issues... I don't think. But having got back into gardening this year after a few years' hiatus, I often find myself thinking that it's the key to my mental wellbeing. I think about gardening if a worry is stopping me getting to sleep (and name plants A-Z instead of counting sheep). Digging (and digging, and digging, at the moment) takes my mind off any anxieties I may have in the rest of my life and focuses me on the here and now. And gardening makes me happy!

I'm guessing I'm probably not alone in this?

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
- Cicero

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,634

And gardening is all about planning ahead, looking forward to things happening         ... that's sooooooo good for us image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,970

Ever the optimists - us gardeners  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

Outdoors in my big green gym (as I call it) is just the best thing ever. Every little task completed is an achievement and something positive for the day. It can be getting an acre of grass cut from verge to sheugh or planting up a little pot. Sometimes I even have the cheek to sit in the sunroom and admire my work! 

Surely that all has to be good.

Thanks for flagging up WMHD LibGard.

Get everybody out into the weather and away from the telly I say!image

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823

I forget the rest of the world when I am at my allotment.

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,426

Gardening has 'saved' me from exploding many a time.  Much rather be out than inside whatever the weather.  image

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,453
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • I agree, as someone with lifelong mental health issues, gardening has become a source of comfort, motivation, peace and... on a good day... dare I say it... happiness?!!

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

That's great to hear Rosa. It's a pity this thread wasn't added to a bit more than it was. I've read on several posts how people take "the black dog" out into the garden and it helps them enormously. It's something for which to get out of bed. 

I hope today is good for you! x