Forum home Plants

When is a harebell not a harebell?

bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 399

In February I started some Thompson and Morgan harebell seeds. I carefully nurtured them until they were ready to harden off and transplant. I was a little surprised when the biggest seedling sprouted a viola flower. Now the next biggest is as pictured below - it has campanula - like characteristics but the flower is not a harebell. I will admit that I didn't use sterile compost, but it doesn't look like a weed,or anything I've grown before! Any ideas?!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,372

Not a clue without the pic image

• bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 399

sorry, the upload thingy vanished

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,365

Mimulus? of some sort .... image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

it's a tiny pic on this netbook. I'll have a look on the grownup computer later on unless someone IDs it before then

and maybe they have image

I think its only a definite maybe .... 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

or even a posibly perhaps.....

I've blown it up and the flower looks like a mimulus but I don't know the leaves well enough to say one way or the other.

I seem to remember quite a smallish mimulus with similar leaves - I'm going to ask Mr Google 

Not quite what I was thinking of, and not quite what we have here masquerading as a harebell, but what do you think?  I think we might have a second cousin here http://www.interseeds.co.uk/mimulus-bounty-red-25-seeds-10572-p.asp 

If you click on the picture you can zoom in.  Not sure about their description of it as being yellow tho' image