Forum home Wildlife gardening

Ladybirds

The user and all related content has been deleted.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626

I don't know if it's the same ladybirds or their children but they certainly do use the same corners. 

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,547

pansyface - do you have wooden windows ? I've never had any ladybirds hibernating, but every house I've been in has had PVC windows, so I just wondered image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Yes, wooden windows and casement style. They only use the ones facing south-westish though. Hundreds and hundreds of them have been settling down over the last week or two. It's a real pain because you can't open them without being showered with the little blighters.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

They like Crittall metal French doors as well. They all fell out when the doors were opened yesterday

nut image

We had metal windows on the house round the corner when we moved in but I never saw any there. I'll have to get some more places for them in the garden  image

Didn't realise they were whiffy Tetley...image

I seemed to have plenty in the garden this year, unlike many folk, so there must be somewhere that already suits them. Plenty of little places for tiny bugs and beetles  image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I've never noticed a smell either Fairy and they're heaped up in the door frameimage

I smell the bats sometimes when weather conditions are right, even when the bats aren't at homeimage

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I seem to be getting shield bugs sheltering - should I encourage or discourage them? Given that they are also called stink bugs ... 

I think our windows are so draughty that any pong is squooshed out of the gaps.

I can vouch for their noxious kneecaps though. I got a little squirt of that yellow stuff on my hands the other day. Very bitter.image