Forum home Plants

Watercress...would you....

• Fish and Frog faeces ??  You only cut above the water level so a swish with clean water is sufficient.  This is my 2nd year of using watercress from my pond....no ill effects so far.

If you are worried about the plants drawing up the unmentionables, just think what the majority of people must be eating when they buy fruit and veg from a shop.  Not only can the seed be treated but the top growth too.image

RB1........I agree wholeheartedly about the Land Cress.  It's a hardy little beggar and makes a welcome snack in the middle of winter.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Most farm animals would be treated for parasites. Liver fluke is a vanishingly unlikely occurrence.

Fish and frog poo?? Your'e having a laugh!!
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,412

All part of the food cycle - same as adding horse/cow muck to the veg patch - all good stuff

I give mine a good rinse and have been eating it for 5+ yrs with no (known) ill effects 

I just popped a bit in at the top of the waterfall and although there's not much in the summer, most of the year it grows quite well - sometimes too well.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Pete......I liked the no (known) ill effects image 

People are far too frightened of nature these days......nothing like a bit of dirt to keep your immune system healthyimage

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,412

I love a bit of dirt image

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • SarSpudSarSpud Posts: 46
    Hi, I thought I'd try and resurrect this thread. We have a spring in the field next door, it flows through our garden as a stream. I managed to grow lots of watercress last year but now question whether it is safe to eat?

There are cows in the field over winter but it's clear of cattle May - Nov, they have access to the Spring. The water can get deeper in winter but remains very low the rest of the year.

From reading on here and google I think there could be a risk of liver fluke due to the cows (unless they're treated)? But if we only pick that which has not been submerged, boil it or wash it in a mix of vinegar/water it should be safe?

Would you eat it??

It seems ridiculous to grow some in a container when there's a lovely stream.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,332

I wouldn't eat it if the stream passes through grazed pasture - even if the cattle are off the land for some of the time.  Not sure of the biology, but I wouldn't risk it.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Kim63Kim63 Posts: 15

Thank you.... totally forgot about this thread I started. I went to my local garden centre to buy a few packets of seeds and to my surprise they now stock watercress seeds so I'll be growning it safely on my veg patch.

• Kim63Kim63 Posts: 15

A quick pic.... I do eat a lot of watercress so hope they are successful.

• If you cut watercress does it re-grow from the roots?