Discoloured Cabbage plants

Hello,

We planred our cabbage and cauliflower seedlings into our allotment straight from the greenhouse. They have turned a strange shade of pink and are looking lifeless whereas they were very vealthy until then. What have we done wrong? 

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

You didn't hardening them off first, probably.

I put plants into a coldframe for 2 weeks, after the greenhouse. This allows enough time for the plant to get used to the cold.

You'd be pretty shocked if you jumped into the north sea, yes ? same goes for plants.

Hardening off is the key, even in June. Only time will tell, which plants are the strongest.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,115

Unless the cut-worm has got at them.  They're pretty quick.

• Hardening off is important - but stick with them - something may emerge yet!  It's happened to me, and there is the feeling of disappointment, but let them settle and all should be well, after a while.  image

• Thank you marshmello and Garden Maniac, I will persevere with them. I can quite see the point about jumping into the North Sea. Noted for next time. Welshunion, what is a cutworm? Sounds gruesome.

Everythings a learning curve VS, we all did it at some point. Just got to learn from a minor mistakes. image

• Just a thought, isn't a cold frame the same as a greenhouse?

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Valerie, yes but cheaper.

Definitley not the same. Greenhouses are warmer than coldframes.

• Excuse my ignorance but what would be the point of "hardening off" in a cold-frame if it is the same as a greenhouse? Would you have it in a shadier part of the garden? 

A coldframe isn't the same as a greenhouse and if used correctly....a coldframes purpose, is to prepare young plants for the outside world. Because a coldframe is made from wood it doesn't heat up like a greenhouse. Therefore, it's a cold environment for which your plants can acclimatise to the outdoor conditions but still be protected enough from cold winds. Which is why your plants are suffering now, because they're being subjected to cold wind. They're showing signs of stress because they got use to the heat.