dwarf weeping cherry tree

greenmaidgreenmaid Posts: 26

I am quite new to this and put the question originally in the 'problem solving' section but had no replies.  Please can anybody help ...  this is a very healthy looking 4 yr.old weeping cherry and has been pruned once.  At the moment a few of the branches are dragging on on the ground and concealing the back of my small garden.  I believe this is not the ideal time to prune but without harming it, could I cut back 2 or 3 branches now?   I do have some sealing material which I could paint on the cuts.

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Hi greenmaid. I presume it has finished flowering now, so if it was mine I would cut it back. You could cut out any branches that criss-cross each other to lighten it up a bit. Unless the branches are very thick, I don't think you need to seal them.

• greenmaidgreenmaid Posts: 26

Thanks for your advice Sue, that was just what I was hoping to hear  -  will now be the plan for tomorrow   image

• I trim mine when the low branches get in the way of my mowing!!image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 42,892

It's fine to prune cherry and plum trees at this time of year - in fact now is the best time, when the sap is rising - to prevent infection with silver leaf which can occur if you prune them at other times of the year, so go ahead.  

Just don't forget to stand well back and get a good view of the overall shape of the tree and plan what you're going to remove, so that it retains an elegant balance image

Gardening is cheaper than therapy, and you get tomatoes. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,692

I've inherited a weeping cherry here which is weeping a bit too much as it's very damaged and will need to come out but I cut back all the dead and damaged branches before it flowered and it didn't affect it so  it should be fine greenmaid. Like WW I also trimmed back the ones which were touching the grass as they get in the way of the mower and I have a couple more to do. It's still flowering - just - as it's so late up here but I will do it in next few days.

• greenmaidgreenmaid Posts: 26

Thanks so much everyone for your advice,    image