Forum home Wildlife gardening

What an earths this spider like bug?

can anyone identify this bug? It's like a spider but has a body like a wood louse with legs coming from its back. At least it was crawling this way up!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,268
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,880

I agree, Pansyface.  It looks a bit odd in the photos - perhaps it's playing dead...  If you look closely, EC, I think the legs don't actually emerge from the harvestman's back - they're kind of folded over its back.  Not a true spider, I believe.

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • God morn, heard recently that a conker placed in each corner of a room will keep spiders out. My daughter-in-law's mum had tried it and it so far working. Now is the time to collect a few and try it out. Our Labrador would pinch the confers and chew them I'm afraid.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,478

I had a bowlful of conkers because the spiders kept setting off the burglar alarm by walking over the movement detectors. It didnt work.

• I tried putting conkers in the corners of each room last year.  I did seem to do the trick with deterring the big spiders as they all seemed to dissappear after I'd put them down. Could of been a coincidence of course.  Unfortuantely though - after the spiders had gone I found the conkers had been sniffed out by mice and they had started to come into the house to eat them....

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,268

You win some, you lose some.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.