Forum home Wildlife gardening

What an earths this spider like bug?

can anyone identify this bug? It's like a spider but has a body like a wood louse with legs coming from its back. At least it was crawling this way up!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,996

I agree, Pansyface.  It looks a bit odd in the photos - perhaps it's playing dead...  If you look closely, EC, I think the legs don't actually emerge from the harvestman's back - they're kind of folded over its back.  Not a true spider, I believe.

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • God morn, heard recently that a conker placed in each corner of a room will keep spiders out. My daughter-in-law's mum had tried it and it so far working. Now is the time to collect a few and try it out. Our Labrador would pinch the confers and chew them I'm afraid.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,339

I had a bowlful of conkers because the spiders kept setting off the burglar alarm by walking over the movement detectors. It didnt work.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • I tried putting conkers in the corners of each room last year.  I did seem to do the trick with deterring the big spiders as they all seemed to dissappear after I'd put them down. Could of been a coincidence of course.  Unfortuantely though - after the spiders had gone I found the conkers had been sniffed out by mice and they had started to come into the house to eat them....

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626

You win some, you lose some.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.