Forum home Wildlife gardening

Today's observations?

I'll go first: I was sorting out some plant pots and the local Robbin sat and watched me, some blue tits and great tits also sat in the tree while I was doing this (I was close to their feeder) some wrens (or I think they were) were jumping over one of my log piles and I believe I spotted a bird bathing in my bird bath.   

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

As I was driving home from work I was blown away by the stunning colour of the trees. I'm not sure what they were....maybe maple but they were amazing. Every colour of fire!

• I should have specified, observations in the garden ;D thrift agree, the trees look lovely

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626

Never got into the garden - my observation was through the window at torrential rain.

Oh, well I did see a hungry squirrel chaw through the string on the birdfeeder so that it fell to the ground and made for easier eating.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

I thought trees counted because even though I was at work and didn't see my own garden, except in the dark, they were in a garden....just someone else's.

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

only observation was last night when I discovered my main garden footpath and steps had turned into a river/waterfall combination and my house had water all around it making it resemble a boat! luckily is didn't rise enough to flood in and sink me! image

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,169

My pond has started to overflow on to the little bridge - the only way I can get to the top end of the garden. Know what you mean about the houseboat scenario treehugger - mine is the same. Thought briefly about sweeping all the debris away with some of the water but then went back insideimage

A nice observation from yesterday was how many more house sparrows there are since first thing this year. Don't recall having any in previous years and now there's a little troopimage Bought them a sparrow tower but they're not using it.

• Anne17Anne17 Posts: 96

I can see at least a dozen goldfinches on my feeders, they're young ones, not all have quite got the hang of the feeders, but seem to be watching the older ones. I reckon the parents must have raised at least 3 lots of babies

OOEER! All you flooded peeps! We had heavy rain but nothing like yours by the sound of it. It's bright and clear now.

I'll start knocking out my floating jetties now shall I?

I hope you're all ok....there's nothing worse than watching the waters coming towards the house!

No observations worth reporting so far but the day is young....

• Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452
    Anne17 wrote (see)

I can see at least a dozen goldfinches on my feeders, they're young ones, not all have quite got the hang of the feeders, but seem to be watching the older ones. I reckon the parents must have raised at least 3 lots of babies

Oh, Anne, I'm jealous! I have seen a few round here occasionally but haven't managed to get them to come to my feeders (yet). 

• Sun flower seed hearts are all we buy now. All the birds seem to like them. We have a pair of resident robins and a very friendly white throat. Wherever the robins are, he/she is not far away. He/she has beautiful markings. If I go into the greenhouse he will start hanging around. Even as far as greenhouse door.