Forum home Problem solving

mystery shrub

Hi, apologies first because I'm a newby gardener... the chap next door has offered me a fairly big shrub / bush to fill a gap in my garden. I have attached some pics of it. It was replanted recently due to building works and is not doing very well. Most of the leaves have gone red/brown but a good percentage are still green. My question is in two parts, what is it?! and does it need shade or sun? I am very keen to save this plant with lots of tlc and need to plant it in the right place. One of the pictures (the one with the green leaves) is of a very healthy smallish tree in his garden which I suspect is the same plant. Any ideas / thoughts / advice gratefully received...

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

it's a Cotoneaster, in each of those photos... which variety I'm not sure, there are so many...

sun or shade, tends to grow just about anywhere...

• northnorth Posts: 2

Many thanks indeed for solving the mystery with your quick and much appreciated response. I am just hoping it survives the move.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

...in this weather... if it's mainly dry where you are... throw a bucket of water over it each day, for about 2 weeks...if you can... it should be fine after that... inevitably you will get leaf yellowing, and leaf drop... don't be alarmed... you can prune it back hard as well, if it wilts and dies back....

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,015

It looks like the horizontalis variety which is good ground cover too. They grow in most soils really and most positions, though they prefer  sun and well drained soil. If it's quite big I'd prune it back so that there's less stress on it especially if you have put it in a sunny position. As Salino says give it a good watering in but keep an eye on it so that it doesn't get waterlogged either.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,851

My guess would be something a bit larger, lacteus/rigida/'Cornubia' that sort of size

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,015

Nut- think you're right - more like lacteus.image

Useful plants.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,851

very useful and the berries ripen late so there's something for the birds in the middle of winter.