Forum home Plants

Foxglove Seedlings

LucidLucid Posts: 385

Hi everyone,

This year I grew some Foxglove Excelsiors in our front garden - last year I attempted to grow some of the 'perennial' foxgloves (or they were labelled as such at the garden centre) and they died after I cut down their flower stalks. The Excelsiors did really well and I left them a little too long and missed collecting the seeds. However I've just spotted what I think looks like seedlings, and before I get too excited at the thought of my first plant self seeding I thought I best check in as to whether they look like Foxglove seedlings - or if they're another form of weed.

Some more of the same in a different area of the bed (please ignore the other weeds).

Same area but close up.

I think the leaves do look similar to what the foxgloves were like. However I hadn't thought that seedlings would take off so soon - it's not long since the big plants had died off and I removed them. Or could it be some seeds from the type I grew last year?

If they are seedlings should I leave them in the bed as they are for now, and then in the Spring once they're bigger move them to a more ideal location?

Thanks for any help and advice,

Lucid image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,380

look like foxgloves to me

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,351

They look like foxglove seedlings to me. 

I'd let them grow away now, then they'll die down.  When they reappear in the spring plant them where you want them and enjoy image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I don't know excelsior, but they may not come true from seed. Always worth a go, you can whip them out if you don't like them.

Devon.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

yes, you can transplant them to somewhere else if they're not in the right place or too close together

• LucidLucid Posts: 385

Thanks Hostafan1, Dovefromabove and nutcutlet for the super quick replies. I'm very pleased that I spotted them. I hadn't realised that they might seed so quickly so thought I just had loads of weeds in the bed. I'm guessing they won't flower next year but it'll be great to have a load of self seeded plants I can use in the front and back garden.

Lucid image

they will flower next year Lucid, well they do down here in Devon. Maybe if you're somewhere colder it might be the following year

Devon.

Oh really - that would be excellent. I thought that they grow their leaves in the first year and then send up the flower talks in the second year - or is it because they're Excelsiors that they would flower so soon?

Lucid image

Sorry Hostafan1 - I only saw the first part of your reply when I posted. I'm in the South too so will keep my fingers crossed.

Lucid image

if you get a decent clump of leaves before it turns too cold , you should be in luck

Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,564

I have seedlings like that here, they should be ok, they are tuffies!

I see one has been chewed already, slugs will eat them to the ground. It's as well they seed so readily so there is plenty for all! 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.