Forum home Plants

Can anyone help ID this plant?

Hello everyone - I walked past this every day in the summer on the way to station and it amazed me every day.  The blues seemed to radiate, especially in the evening light.  I plan to get one of my own for next year, I just need to know what it is first!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,411

Looks like Linaria purpurea to me

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,809

I agree Nut - looks like that to me too image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,411

Very blue though isn't it? Mine are more purple than that. 

The shape and leaves/stem look right.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Yes I agree. It's lovely and will grow anywhere - but beware - that really does mean anywhere. Very likely to self-seed, including in the roots of other plants and shrubs - and is then difficult to remove. Pretty though. There's a pink version too.

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

Purple toadflax, very easy to pull up if you don't want it, or it is for me with my popeye arms. Didn't know there was a pink one thought. That would look pretty.

• Yes I agree it's a linaria. They come in various shades of purple/mauve and pink too.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,925

I like Linaria vulgaris, a very pretty yellow colour.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • yes agree linaria

I have it everywhere in  my garden but its pink. self seeds like theres no tomorrow!

• Thanks all.  Might look into a pink and a blue for Spring then.  Could make a nice combo image

• If you pass the plant you've photoed every day, you might notice that it's now covered in abundant seeds ....