Victoria Plumb - query over fruit

tony williams2tony williams2 Posts: 177

I have a 3 year old Victoria Plum dwart patio tree in a large pot on my patio, it is producing fruit, but some look normal and others look strange shaped - is there a reason for this, and do i need to thin out the fruit that is appearing?

Thank you for your help - Tony

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,623

Those are not going to make successful fruit - not sure what's gone wrong there - possibly underwatering?

Or .... what sort of compost is it in and what feeding regime have you followed?

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

Just did a bit of Googling - seems that this might be the problem http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=199 

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • tony williams2tony williams2 Posts: 177

Thanks for your reply, it seems to have taken hold very quickly, will try removing what I can and then treating.

Oh dear, have you got it again this year? Or rather has your plum tree got it again?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,231

That's the effect of one of the Taphrina fungi.

Is that what the link is?

I get that on my Prunus padi but as I'm not looking for fruit I've never looked for a cure.

That's not very helpful, sorry

• Poor pollination also causes mis-shapen fruit. This can be due to a lack of pollinating insects at blossom time, or a night frost when the flowers are open.

You can aid pollination in future seasons by going round with a soft haired brush and doing the job by hand. 

Hope that helps.

Chris

• hendo4hendo4 Posts: 1

we have been given a Duo plumb tree and a Duo Cherry trees which I have planted in

large pot with Fruit  and shrub compost. Do they trees need feeding at any stage?

thank you.

hendo