is this an orchid?

B3B3 Posts: 11,420

This plant has suffered egregious neglect over the past few years but still keeps coming back . Is it an orchid? If it is, what should I do to get it to flower? 

In London. Keen but lazy.

• No I don't think so.  Is it an indoor or outdoor ?  Could be an Amaryllis of some kind.

Most are frost hardy to tender.  Or a Hemerocallis ( Day Lilly ) ? Agapanthus even ?  Is it a bulb or a rhizome ?

It looks as if it needs repotting ( you have stagnant/compacted compost in there.....moss, etc.).image

• B3B3 Posts: 11,420

No it's not an amaryllis it has no bulb and it has thickish grey roots. It was in a clear pot when I bought it but it's been in the garden a while so something might have seeded in there.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Could it be a Clivia? If it is it should be indoors and not repotted as they like to be congested.
  • Didn't think of Clivia.  I'd say it does need repotting in clean compost but not overpotting............keeping it tight to the pot........most stuff flowers best when filling the pot.image

These are the roots,chaps.

• Certainly look nice and healthy B3.  Other than previous suggestions can't make a positive ID.

Someone will tho I am sureimage

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Agapanthus is also a candidate, maybe?

Do they self seed? I've never had one.

• Agapanthus was my 2nd ( or 3rd ? ) suggestion.  They produce large seed heads but I'm not sure they "self seed" successfully as such.  Depends on your location and climate but mostly you would need to sow Agapanthus seed with added bottom heatimage

It doesn't seem likely then. I'm in London. There was an orchid in the pot. It had fuchsia coloured flowers but I don't remember the leaves. But this could be something else as it's been out in the garden for a while. PS2 I looked at the clivia you suggested as well. It's beautiful but I've never had one of them either. Maybe I should give it some TLC and see what develops!