Forum home The potting shed

Maintenance only anyone?

Is anyone at the maintenance only stage yet? 

For the 32 years that I've had my own gardens to look after my plan has been to sort them out and plant them up beautifully and then sit back and look at them. Every now and again I would have to pull out the odd cheeky weed of course....

Anyone?

ANYONE?

• B3B3 Posts: 18,733

I don't think I'd want to get to that stage.  Perhaps it is better to travel in hope than to arrive.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,738

A garden is never finished.

Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,456

A good bit of mine is at that stage ppauper. The garden's only a couple of years old, but as I now work more hours, have started hillwalking again, and have other commitments, it was designed to be like that. I still have plenty of things to do though, and areas to develop, especially when I get the house extension underway, which will be next spring. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I still take out plants that I get bored with and replace them with something different. i am always coming across new must-have plants, so something has to make way!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,934

"Sitting back and looking at them" is for planning the next bit - best done with a glass of vino collapso in your hand image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 18,733

I once had a very small garden. I would have the urge to do a bit of gardening, but there would be nothing to do. It was so frustrating!  Now I just do a bit of refereeing in the bits I haven't the time for and garden in the rest. If I sit facing in the right direction, it is the kind of garden you're looking for PP!

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,167

I've had my current garden for 19 years and spent the first 16 maintaining tiny areas of it while the rest ran wild. Then I retired and since then have been transforming it and still have many years of projects planned!

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,770

I have a plan: when my garden is all tidy, weeded, dead-headed and watered and fed, I am going to sit in it and enjoy looking at it. I have had this plan for almost thirty years. Next year .....

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

So no then! Goodo! I too have that solution B3. If I face West from the "bandstand" it's all lovely lawn, cow hoof prints aside at the moment, and if I turn round and face East.....not so much!!!! Some brambles, some bindweed, the odd fallen treeimage

I've read through your answers and I'm seeing the words

plans

transforming

projects

replace

must-have plants

areas to develop

and the clincher......never finished!

Let's face it we're doomed! 

Great isn't it? image

• Didn't have as much time this year as we got married. Aside from a few annuals from seed, weeding and taking some cuttings I've not done much major (oh I did a new raised bed in early spring actually). It's starting to look after itself, I just make sure to keep the lawn mown and deal with weeds while they're small. We did a LOT of chopping back last year as the hedge and shrubs were out of control. There was also 2 wheelbarrows full of bindweed roots which we removed!