Forum home Wildlife gardening

Ducks on my pond

A while back I cleared some areas of my pond (or I made my niece do it) and now it looks as if it's made of water! Hurrah! image Yesterday there were 4 ducks on it. And again...Hurrah! This morning there were six! Hurrah and a half!!!!!

How do I make them welcome? How do I make them like it enough to set up residence? They flew off when I drove in yesterday and again this morning when I opened the door to go out.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,985

Lovely, but I'd just let them come and go and not do too much to encourage them - if you get too many ducks too often the water will go green, they'll eat all the vegetation and poop all over the banks.  Visiting ducks are better than residents image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Sound advice! Eating some vegetation would probably be a good thing (save my poor niece some work)....what am I saying? She couldn't get in quick enough! 

Like all visitors then Dove....little and occasionally!

Thanks.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,547

Little and often is the best plan with most things in life ppauper  image

Ducks can be a real nuisance - but it depends how fussy you are about your garden too!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Oh indeed I'm fussy as anything m'lady! image MmmHmmm! fussy as anything! image That might explain why my pond looks like a wallow and ducks only came for the first time yesterday!! HaHa! I love my garden to be all wild and free and then spend my days tidying it. Whasatabout?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,985

If they only visit occasionally you might find that come springtime a female might choose your pond area for her nest and nursery pool - they like somewhere secluded away from the randy drakes image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I might just faint with excitement if that happened! This year my little wren fledglings were nearly the death of me with worry! Strangely their mum seemed less bothered!image

There're loads of secluded places, planned and otherwise, and what I like to call a rocky foreshore for access ( some might unkindly refer to it as the mucky bit with the pebbles!) Rude! image

• Snow MaidenSnow Maiden South Coast UKPosts: 862

Oh how lovely to have ducks...............would love to see some photos if possible....pleaseimage

I'll try but they won't sit still long enough. I got loads of the heron though. He stayed for ages!

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 961

Lucky you!  How big is your pond?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,146

Devon.