Planting Advice please 2 for sunny side

Hi

Following the previous post, here are my list of shrubs on the left and the back border. I'd like a Salix integra 'Hakuro Nishiki' as a specimen plant near the corner where the left border meets the raised bed at the back. I'd also would like Chaenomeles x superba 'Crimson and Gold', Cotoneaster for red berries, Lonicera x purpusii 'winter beauty', Nandina domestica, Philadelphus 'Belle Etoile', Sambucus nigra 'Black Lace', Viburnum opulus 'Compactum' (Guelder rose) and Wiegela 'Nana Variegata'. I love roses so I'm thinking about climbing varieties such as 'A Shropshire Lad' and 'Iceberg'. For the border, I'd like to plant 'Gertrude Jekyll', 'Margaret Merrill', and 'Ferdinand Pichard'. Will they do amongst other plants? I read roses do not like competition. I have a Spirae japonica in a pot on the patio so that'll go in the ground too.

Thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions x

• LOL, I do love those prickly, disease infested, bare twiggy things and by the look of it, plenty of neighbours do too!  It seems the roses grow well in this area, as I can see them in a lot of front garden (no idea about back garden).  I haven't considered much about underplanting, because my priority this autumn is getting a few shrubs and settle them down, but I'll definitely look at the plants you suggest in spring image Thanks for your response.

• Hi sammymummy, iceberg rose is very good as a bush, but I have found the climbing variety is not so vigorous as I would have liked.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

Oh Verd! image image

• Thanks valerieroberts.  I'll have to rethink about iceberg.  Is there any other climbing rose you could recommend?

• I grow Madame Alfred Carriere (creamy white)  and the Generous Gardener (Pink) I also grow a Shropshire Lad and let it grow quite tall through a frame. Gorgeous colour pink.

• Thanks Archie3. I'll go for Alfred Carriere instead of Iceberg!  By any chance is there any climbing rose you could recommend for the shade?  I've read St Swithun may do (so says David Austin website).

• Good morning Sammymummy. I Bought the Generous Gardener from David Austin on their recommendation. I went to them at the Gardeners World in Birmingham and asked them as I had a spot that doesn't see any sun before noon and this was the one they told me about. It is a lovely rose and starting to spread along the dull fence. In front I have a huge clump of Agapanthus, again originally from G.W. This plant came from 'Something for the Garden' - their plants are marvelooks and I always buy Agapanthus from them. Have fun with roses. I only started buyin them a few years ago and now have them in borders as well as growing on boring fences. All have come from David Austin.