Forum home Tools and techniques

Petrol or battery?

Hello all, I need a strimmer and an electric one isn't feasible as sometimes I'll need it miles down a garden.  The battery ones seem to last 15-20 mins if you're lucky from what I'm reading but I'm told the petrol ones are heavy.  I'm a slight female and short aswell! Not selling myself here really!!  

It's usually lawn edges but may occasionally be for overgrown brambles too.

Any help would be really appreciated.  Many thanks.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,093

You really need a brush cutter rather than a strimmer for brambles. I'd go for petrol every time but I do have an undergardener to do some of the menial tasksimage

• turmericturmeric Posts: 643

An undergardener? I am impressed!  Or are you referring to your other half?  Any recommendations on model or make nutcutlet, there are so many on the market I don't want to end up with a duff one.  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,881
    jekylandhide wrote (see)

..... your other half?  Any recommendations on model or make nutcutlet, there are so many on the market I don't want to end up with a duff one.  

I agree, I'd take Nutcutlet's recommendation - the OH she selected is definitely a cut above most image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Oh my *** I just read back what I wrote.  Very funny Dove.  

In all seriousness though I would appreciate any advice on makes or models to look at (or avoid), especially with regard to the battery ones if anyone has found a model that is robust and lasts a decent amount of time?  Many thanks jandh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,093

I'll tell him you said so Doveimage

Ours is a multitool thingy with mini chainsaw and hedge trimmer and extension poles. Titan. Probably not what you're looking for

We have a strimmer but ancient so won't be available now. 

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

I too have a giant garden and by necessity needed a petrol strimmer. Having "pasghetti arms", like yourself, I debated long and hard about the weight issue but I had no choice. I'm in my wrong house at the moment but I'll be in touch in the morning to tell you what make I got. It's not terribly heavy and it's quite well balanced which I think is more important. If it's too heavy at one end you're constantly straining against it. It has a harness strap but I've never needed to use it. It also has an optional brush cutter blade which I purchased separately for brambles. (I haven't used it yet. As I mentioned in another thread I'm afraid of cutting off my own feet.....just kidding) image

Mixing the petrol/oil is a dawdle. one red can of petrol + one measured bottle of two stroke. Job done! I am lucky to have a local lawnmower man who mends, services and suppilies. Don't go to a big store if you can help it. Try to find a "wee man" who knows his stuff.

Another top tip I got from my cousin's husband is wear ear plugs!!!!! He discovered that he can cut his hedge for twice as long with them in. Bizarre I know but he's absolutely right!!! I've tried it.

One thing I found is that my fingers go "fizzy"! You'll get that with any power tool like that so maybe do half an hour at a time.

I dithered for ages about getting my strimmer and now it's one of my favourite tools. My garden is a wilderness and I couldn't manage without it.

I'll be in touch tomorrow.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

If you want light weight go for a husqvana strimmer/brush cutter. Expensive but a good investment. The cheaper ones are made of steel rather than Aluminium and the engines are smaller but very efficient.

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

I've got one of these http://www.diy.com/departments/bosch-art-26-18-li-electric-cordless-li-ion-grass-trimmer/560530_BQ.prd and it suits me very well.  Like you, I'm a woman and getting on a bit to say the least so I wanted something fairly light and not electric because my garden is long too, backing onto arable farm land.

I use it to keep down the undergrowth the other side of the ditch which was originally cleared for me by my son in law with a proper heavy duty petrol job and I do it regularly - every 2 or 3 weeks. It's now mostly grass with nettles, docks, thistles and the odd bramble whereas it was mostly weeds with a little bit of grass. I do inside the ditch (dry in summer) as well as it's my responsibility to keep it clear. I also strim round the edge of the lawn when I mow and round fence posts etc.

The battery lasts for 20 mins to half an hour but I've had enough by then so I have a cuppa or do something else while it recharges.  The solid plastic blade is reasonably robust (I've just put in a new one after a season of using the machine).  Wouldn't be without it now. 

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Mine's a Tanaka, an American make. I opted for that because, like you, I was worried about not being able to handle it and it wasn't scarily expensive so if I had to put it on Gumtree it wouldn't be so bad. image

As DyersEnd says....couldn't be without it now and I'm no Spring chicken either! image

I'm guessing from your name Dave that you might be a bloke. image Heavy for boys and heavy for girls are two very different things. Even sometimes heavy for girls and heavy for other girls!!!!! My concern would be that steel is considerably heavier than aluminium and if you're feeble, which clearly we are, that could be the final straw.

Good luck with your purchase anyway JanH. You won't be sorry you bought one whichever you decide.