Forum home Problem solving

Scarifying lawn

I'm planning to get both my front and back lawns scarified soon and I know I'm going to have vast amounts of moss to get rid of.  Is there anything useful I can do with the resulting bags full which I know will be the result?  If so, what and how.  Thank you.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    You could put it in the compost bin mixed in with lots of other materials or take it to the dumpimage
  • DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

Oh good.  For some reason I thought composting it would be a no no.  Thank you Logan.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 29,140

Pile in a quiet, sheltered corner with some bits of log and old wood for critters to shelter in or put it on the compost heap.  

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 52,097

It would only be a problem putting it in the compost bin if the lawn had recently been treated with a chemical weed and/or feed. Most people would then put it in the waste collection bin (if you have one) just to be on the safe side image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 83,870

Save some to tie in bundles or put in wire netting holders and hang from trees/fences in the early spring for bluetits, long tailed tits etc to make their nests with image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

The grass hasn't been treated in the last 3 years certainly and probably never has been judging by the state of it image  I picked up a bag of horse poo yesterday so I'll put a mixture in the compost.  I'll save some for the birds to use next spring too Dove - thank you for the suggestion.