Lawn Aerator Shoes

Lawn aerator shoes, are they any good? Or should I just stick to a fork to aerate the lawn?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,262

I think they are  a bit dangerous Tina, I can foresee a nasty accident with them

There was a thread last year about them, type Aerating shoes in the search box.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Tina_i_amTina_i_am Posts: 173

Thanks, I've had a read. Conclusion, spikes don't go down far enough, like i thought. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,214

Plus you look a total pr** wearing them.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,606

And you're in danger of attaching yourself permanently to the lawn, not to mention seriously straining some thigh muscles image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The slender tines of a border fork penetrate much further into the soil/ subsoil & result in far better drainage . I use mine regularly and follow up with sharp sand brushed over the surface (works best in the dry!!!).

• B3B3 Posts: 11,420

Sounds like something out of Wallace and Gromit!

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,214

Here are the ones made by Wallace

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oNn9I5pveoE

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • B3B3 Posts: 11,420

Inspirational! I believe, with a larger piece of wood, a serviceable bed-o-nails can be constructed.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Tina_i_amTina_i_am Posts: 173

My lawn feels hard and lumpy.  Would the aeration and adding the sharp sand help a compacted lawn.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,102

It would Tina but it also depends how 'bowling green ' you want it! The spiking helps open the ground up and let air in, and the grit helps to drain water away - like a mini soakaway. If you have lots of big lumps and dips, you might need to fill those with soil and re seed in spring to help get a more level surface image

I'd love a pair of Wallace and Gromit shoes image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....