Forum home Talkback

hello from 'the newbe'

hi there

this is my first go at joining a gardening site. what a great idea, wish i'd done it sooner as reading through the different sites i found it a mine of superb information. far better even that trailing through the many books and mags i buy. 

as we are not as young and sprightly as before, we are aiming for a maintenance free garden, if that is at all possible. i love the flowers and try to ensure that most of what is in my garden is sweet smelling or can be eaten!!! 

well, enough about me, i'm now going to continue to browse through this lovely highly informative website.

happy gardening everyone

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Hi Nanny, welcome

• Val40Val40 Posts: 1,377

Nanny, you've passed the most important test of not being so young and spritely. image There are a bunch of very knowledgable folk on this site who know far more than any book can tell you, with the exception of me. Welcome.

• Val40Val40 Posts: 1,377

image Verd, shouldn't that be infamous. image

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Welcome Nanny.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Hello, many (though by no means all )  of us here are getting somewhat older, but there is no such thing as a maintenance free garden.  It is keeping it going and loving the acts of gardening that keep us active and joyful.  Of course, there are easier ways to do things than there were 20 or - well, a great deal - of years ago - but maintenance free?  No, most of us would not want that anyway.  You will need to weed, to prune, to trim, and mostly just to love and enjoy your garden to keep it, and you, happy.  

• reiverreiver Posts: 32

Welcome aboardimage  Some nice folks here---- and me. Minimum maintenance is what to aim for- Just enough to keep Grumpy(Me) out of trouble. Keep us informed

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Hi Nanny. Maintenance free, not a chance. The minute you sit to admire your garden you see something that wants doing, or something you need to inspect. But it keeps the waistline down. All daft on here except meimage 

• Welcome Nanny B. This is a really friendly forum and a real hub of information