Grafting

When is the best time to graft fruit trees, and can you graft a pear to an apple tree

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,149

Here is the RHS advice on timing. 

"Fruit trees are grafted at different times of year, depending on the technique. Chip budding and T-budding are undertaken from mid-summer into early autumn, while whip-and-tongue grafting takes place in late winter or early spring."

I doubt very much whether it would be possible to graft a pear onto an apple as they belong to different categories of plants. A bit like grafting a giraffe and a mouse.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Thanks for that.it looks like I have to wait till the spring to graft.  I was told that you have to match the Genus, but none of the books I have identify the genus for apple and pear

• Apple is Malus and pear is Pyrus.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,149

Yes, though you will see references to the domestic apple as Pyrus malus. But they did that when the taxonomists were metaphorically just beginning to sharpen their pens. They crossed it out later and decided that apples were apples and pears were pears. Hence the expression "You are comparing apples and pears". Actually, I just made that up.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.