Forum home Problem solving

How long for ground elder to die from starvation and dehydration

nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Around April I was given a hellebore in a pot. It contained more ground elder than hellebore.

I decided to sacrifice the hellebore and put the whole lot in the GH and left it to dry out. May/June I tipped it all out on a metal tray, still in the GH, a solid lump, nothing has moved or crumbled and it's very dry.

Do you think the Ground Elder is dead yet? Can I put the lump on the garden somewhere to melt down over winter? It's quite a big lump, 15 inches maybe.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,574

I wouldn't ........... maybe in 2115 ............ but only maybe image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Thought so Dove. I wonder where it could go. To whom shall I donate thatimage

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

council tip?

Devon.

Might be the way to go Hostafan. It's still heavy even though dry. I was hoping for somewhere within sack trolley range

Yes, I think that was nearly dead when it arrived Verdunimage

• I have had an ongoing battle with ground elder since I moved to my house in 1979 - I cleared the borders many times in the early days when my borders weren't as full as they are now. These days I just try my best to keep on top if it. Go and buy yourself a hellebore and save yourself a lot of timeimage

Coals to Newcastle doesn't cover it gardeninglily. There are so many hellebores here from years of seeding that I had to have a cull last year.image

My problem is an inability to say no when someone says 'do you want a.........'

• One way of getting your own back is to eat the young leaves - fry with garlic and serve with pasta ....image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,499

Could you not have a little bonfire on top of it?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.