Forum home Problem solving

Apple Canker

I planted a row of six apple cordons three years ago, different varieties. They've grown well except for one, Sunset variety. This year the leaves were yellowish from leaf burst. It set fruit but they dropped off when very small. I recently examined it closely and it clearly had two bad areas of canker low down on the trunk, a few inches above the graft union. I've dug up and burnt the affected tree and sprayed the others with fungicide after the fruit was harvested. I plan to spray again at leaf fall.

I need advice about whether I can do anything else to protect the remaining trees. Can canker get into the soil? Will it be safe to set a new tree in this position during the winter? Any advice much appreciated.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,499

Here is a description of apple canker, what it is, how it spreads and what you can try to do about it.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=63

I have a lot of apple trees and it is true that some get terrible canker while others don't seem to get it at all.

Now that the powers that be have removed Bordeaux mixture from the market, you can't do very much other than plant resistant varieties and maybe try to keep the soil dryer rather than wetter. I live in an area with high rainfall but quick-draining soil and I still get it.

It is dispiriting to see a young tree slowly succumb to canker. Good luck.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.