Forum home Talkback

pond mud

I am in the process of clearing an old leaky pond with a lot of muddy sludge at the bottom. Is this mud useful on borders or veg beds or should I discard it elsewhere

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,519

I'd spread it out on the veg beds then fork it in when you manure the plot later. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Sounds good to me. I'm sure it must contain some goodness!

• Just make sure you leave a pot full to pop back in the new pond as a starter, if your'e renovating it.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,478
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,344

image Pansy - enjoyed that! 

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore

Ah, they don't make 'em like that any more.image

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,344

No they don't, Pansy.  Michael Flanders was great at pithy verse as well as song lyrics - my favourite is this one:

The walrus lives on icy floes

And unsuspecting Eskimoes.

Don't take your wife to Arctic Tundra -

A walrus may bob up from und'ra.

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore

imageimageimageimage

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,122

David - I'll just add that if you're just clearing it and putting on a border, leave the mud/sludge for a day or two before you fork it in in case there are any little creatures in it. They'll be able to escape to safety before you get digging! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....