Forum home Problem solving

heathers

Can any one tell me if you cut a heather that has grown for over 15 years hard back into bare wood will it sprout again? we had a very big hebe that had died and its left the heathers with big bare patches.thanks in advance.

• thanks Verdun I thought this might be the case but it seems such a pity as they were here before we bought the house and have preformed wonderfully over the years, and the bees love them. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

As a Scot , I can only suggest you cut is as hard back as you like , and if it dies, count yourself lucky. I hate the stuff. image

Devon.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Tina laxton best to buy new one's, because the bees do like themimage
  • I have planted two new hebes which I hope will soon grow to cover the bare patches I cant bear to get rid of it as its so lovely when in flower and the bees love it. I have also planted some new heathers just in case it does need to come out. thank you for all your replies.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

Verdun, for me , heathers come into the same field as: hanging baskets, rockeries and window boxes. For every good one you see, you see hundreds of hideous specimens

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,642

Lots of chuckling here image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh