Forum home Talkback

Bird box where bees had been all summer....

TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

hi

we'd been advised to clear out our bird box having been lucky enough to have bees in it all summer. The bees have long since left (we thought).

When we opened it up it was full of garden debris and also some long cream tubes, which had what looked like a bright yellow / cream coloured maggot wriggling out of one. There is a whole cluster of these tubes and they have burrowed into the wood of the box. We also thought that we saw some movement in the debris, maybe a bee, so we have put it back together and put it back in the garden. 

Might bees be hibernating in there? Also, does anyone know what the maggot like things are? Much larger than a maggot in size.  We took some photos very quickly....

Burrowed into the wood....

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

Woodworm?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,635

Fascinating -  those are the cocoons of Bee Moth larvae - they live in symbiosis with bumble bee and wasp species - sometimes they will cause the bees to abandon the nest but usually they just feed on the nest debris

http://www.uksafari.com/beemoths.htm

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Thanks Dove! How interesting!

I'd heard about them years ago on a radio programme - somehow I dredged it up - no idea how image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

If you put Bee Moth larvae into Google there's a fascinating PDF article published by the Natural History Museum - I can't seem to upload it here image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

fascinating, maybe I should open ours. But I probably wouldn't get them back togetherimage