Advice re: building a wire trellis for wisteria

2»

• Hello Gl - if you've not already been out & bought your wisterias, I'd suggest you wait a while yet because you won't be sure you've got one which is mature enough to start flowering.  Wisterias can take some years before they get to that stage, so it's best to buy one which is flower at the time of purchase, and then you'd be reasonably certain that it would flower for you sooner rather than later.

The other bit of advice would be to make sure you don't plant it too close to the wall, and to dig a big planting hole which you can fill with some good compost before you finally put the plant in position.  If plants are too close to a wall they don't often get the moisture they need, and in almost every case the soil near a house wall is quite poor ref plant nutrients as well.  The last thing I'd suggest is that you remember to water it - even during the autumn.  It will need moisture for most of the year.

• I have a very large wisteria growing around the outside of my house. Something like the picture above. Over the years it has completely dismantled the wires it was growing on and is mostly self supporting. The branches range between the size of my thigh or even larger to thickness of my arm. I've noticed the whole thing is starting to move bow and collapse, and interfere with window openings etc. I think I need to fix it to the wall using rubber straps or something similar in strategic places. I'm just not sure what this would be called or where to buy something that would be suitable. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,918

Carol, at that size it is effectively a tree so why not use tree ties?  These are designed to be semi-flexible to allow for growth and could be fixed to the wall using large rawlplugs and good screws or even rawlbolts (aka 'anchor bolts') which are as permanent a fixture into brickwork as it is possible to get.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • pdxmavenpdxmaven Posts: 1

I just stumbled across this thread.

I am being gifted by my children (yeah!) a wisteria this weekend.  My plan is to grow it straight up to the top of my porch (about 10 feet up from the ground)  and then I will run it across the front of my porch.

I understand that this will take some time -- that's ok.

My question is about what I use to support it while it is growing upright.  While it is young, I can just use a stake. But I am thinking I should install something more permanent. And, as some posters recommend, if I install a 4 x 4 wood post, in cement, I should probably install that now (because of the disturbance of the hole for the cement)  rather than waiting until the plant has grown  large enough to really need that support......?

Other suggested a wire trellis, and I looked at the link given. However, given the massive weight of the wisteria vine over time, I am not sure that any of the wire trellis options shown in the suggested link are sturdy enough to support the trunk over time.  No matter the height, I note that  they all seem to use 3mm wire. 

thanks in advance for any and all suggestions

• We're just about to plant a wisteria on a south ish facing wall. My plan is to start it off on an old wooden ladder. The ladder will eventually rot but by then I'm guessing the main "trunk" will be self supporting. 

Thanks to all for all the advice on wires etc. I'll get them going too. 

• Does anyone know if I could train a wisteria up a tall cordyline?

• All good advice.  However, if you're using wires, do check the branches from time to time for chafing and (as in my case) the wire biting in to the wisteria. image  I think I have saved mine but was really shocked when we released it from its wires how heavy it is (35 years old) - and definitely NOT self-supporting!  So, we've replaced one of the substantial wires (so far) and have used 3cm wide tree ties to bear the weight.  For the record, ours is on a west-facing wall, I prune it July (getting rid of the whipy growth) and around New Year's Eve (cutting back to 'chapel hat pegs'!)  It's an ordinary one, not named  but fabulous.