Ratings reviews or views - lawn edgers

Hi all. Now I have beds and boarders I am looking to purchase lawn edger as I'm sick of pulling it by hand or scalping with the mower. unfortunately I don't have a roller off so have to mow at edges v carefully. 

So my question, how do you do it and what's the best tool for the job and how much did it cost. Also what brand is best aNd going to last well??

I have straight, round aNd curved edges aNd also grass up the side of concrete drive.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,776

I'd agree with Verd. You need something solid or it just falls apart. That plastic stuff is an abomination. Timber, brick or paviour.

Concrete's a good shout Verdun - might do that when I finish my fence posts!

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

I will definitely think about that Verdi. One side will border the front path as I am extending the grass, but the other edges will be along the new fence and the border under front window.   Will do that first as I'll need to do a path for entry to side and back gardens.Once I've got a hedge in( bare root along fence this autumn) I'll do that bit too!

• How about the scissor type cutters. Are they anygood???

Heh heh...good for keeping the bingo wings at bay Verd...image

RD - I use edging shears for the grass- don't like strimmers.

• are they ok on curves??

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,125

I use edging shears too. They are fine on curves. I have long handled ones that you can walk round with and short scissor like ones which I use for edging when I'm kneeling on a kneeler weeding. Then every 3 years or so I go round with a half moon cutter if there are tatty bits.

Yes no problem. Just go to B&Q or garden centre- there's plenty to choose from for all sizes of pocket! Keep them sharp so you get a tidy finish.

They're good for the bingo wings too!