Best Compost 2013

Hi folks,

this week i shall be buying a few bags of multipurpose and i was wondering what the best and worst stuff around is this year based on what you good people have seen?

I picked up, as an emergency, a small bag of Homebase multipurpose compost a few weeks ago and was not impressed, had barely decomposed and seemed to have a lot of small twigs and bark in! I used Westland last year and that was pretty good quality, but i haven't heard if its any good this year and after my Homebase experience i'm shy to jump in until i have some info image
Cheers

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,271

This year I've been using Levington M3 compost and it's lovely stuff. It's made by Everris Ltd.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,600

Ive used "Erins"  - up to now have no complaints .

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,776

I've had some Levingtons which was good but I bought some Homebase stuff as I had a voucher and there was an offer as well, but I think it was a slightly dearer one than the multi purp and not suitable for ericacious. It was better than a lot of others I've had this year. It does seem to vary enormously and, judging by comments on here, people seem to be finding a lot of the composts  poor compared to previous years.

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• katiebeekatiebee Posts: 3

I purchase some bags of arthur bowes, I had some last year, which were very good, but this they were dreadful looked like pine needles and the bags were alot smaller 35 litres compared with 50. image

• John HardingJohn Harding Posts: 473

I've used J Arthur Bowers for some years and it is good quality. This year though my local garden centre hasn't got the J Arthur Bowers range so I've started using the Westland John Innes seed, + Nos. 1,2,& 3 which seem extremely good. Also Westland are doing a promotion at present on their Multi-Purpose Compost with added John Innes. I've tried this and find the texture of the compost one of the best I've tried for some years. It also has a good percentage of genuine peat and certainly my plants are sowing the benefit this year with Tomatoes absolutely romping away & I'm very impressed. I've bought some Westland veg growing compost today to see how it does with Courgettes in large patio containers but am adding a bit of Growmore into the mix to give a bit of a boost.

I should have added that the Westland promotion is on their 60 litre bags: buy 2 @ £5.99 ea & get a 3rd free.

• franco6832franco6832 Posts: 105

Arthur bowers multi purpose compost is rubbish this year. its full pulp woody bits and water just runs through. i wonder if it holds any nutrients at all. its more like tiny bits of bark chippings with a small amount of compost added. it should not be sold to gardeners as multipurpose compost. its a rip-off and a disgrace.

Interesing: if that's the case then maybe that's the reason my local garden centre isn't stocking it any more. As I put in my earlier post, I've been very impressed with the Westland MP compost with added John Innes.

• nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 394

Dont buy b&q

• One thing i've noticed having just done my growbags, is that growbag compost seems to be much better than the multipurpose stuff, and it's actually a similar price, although there never seems to be multibuy offers on it. The original 33l levington growbags were 2.49, compared to most multi purposes at 60l at around 5-6 quid, although you usually get a 3rd free if buying two. But as has been said the quality of the multipurposes is generally terrible. I've tried JAB, New Horizon (which was ok but not half as good as last years), Verve, non of them were nice, all had plastic in, and lumps of wood. 

The best compost i've bought this year was the new horizon vegetable compost for the raised veg beds, but again no deals on that. So it seems to me if you want decent stuff you're better off paying extra and getting veg products, as these seem to have less rubbish in (i wonder if there are rules about rubbish content for veg use??).

I think generally the only decent use of multipurpose now is mulch.