Forum home Problem solving

Is this scurfy rose scale?

I have this on a Zephirine Drouhin rose in my courtyard, and the infestation seems severe.  This rose isn't particularly strong, as for years it was in the shade of a shed, where I had planted it in the hope it would quickly reach up over the shed to where the sun was.  I finally removed the shed completely a year ago, and the rose suddenly looked very well, putting on healthy growth and flowering.  I am very reluctant to take it out because it is deeply planted in a rather awkward space which was created for it when I had my patio re-laid, and while I could probably get the old rose out, putting in a new one is going to be a problem, as I would have to wait a couple of years to avoid replant disease, and I don't really have the space there to do what I have done before which is plant a new rose into a cardboard box.  Any ideas?  I have the winter to treat it, but would rather not cut it back hard if I can avoid it, as the whole point of this rose is for it to climb up to the top of my 6' wall!   However will do that if it will recover and be healthy and flowering.  Thanks for any advice you can offer.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,454

That is one severe infestation of scale insects. There are insecticides which will kill it. You need to get one which is based on Horticultural soft soap. The white covering is a waterproof wax which stops the insecticide from reaching the creature. The soap dissolves the wax and whammy!

It i9s not going to be a quick cure either.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,454

Cutting the offended stem out would help, but Adam did sat=y he did not want to do that, so I did not offer that advice.

Another reason for disliking Roses!

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,575

I seem to remember my mum painting this scale with methylated spirit, or is that not allowed these days. One coat used to do the trick.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I only had today to deal with this as I've had to go away again, and haven't been at the property for a while (which is why the scale got bad before I tackled it).  Garden centre was shut, so based on the 'horticultural soap' idea, I made up a lathery sponge with Fairy Liquid, lathered up all the stems, then when the waxy bits were soft I scraped v gently with the back of a knife to loosen it all up, rinsed it down, let it dry and then sprayed with Rose Clear which was all I had. 

It will be interesting to see what happens!  Next time I'm down if there's a recurrance of the problem I'll just cut the rose back hard for the winter and consider it a rejuvenating prune!  Thanks for the messages, I love this forum!