Fruit & Vegetable Branding

Hey guys,

I'm just doing some research on creating a hybrid fruit/veg and i was wondering what your opinions would be on what would the challenges be arising from 'branding' a fruit or vegetable??

All responses are greatly appreciated, thank you!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,518

I imagine that the main challenge would be recouping the development, production and promotion costs, given that the majority of plants can be reproduced by cuttings, even if the seeds are not viable, notwithstanding the protection provided by Plant Breeders Rights legislation.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks Dove that's very informative!

• What fruit/veg hybrid were you considering ?  Similar to the much advertised Potato/Tomato ?  I'd be wary of expending time and money on something along those lines. 

• @Philippa i've been given the task to create a hybrid that would encourage children to eat healthier/fresher foods. In turn i was thinking of creating a fruit & vegetable hybrid. So i was wondering with current branding standards for fruit and veg how hard would it be to brand my product?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,911

You've got to make it first.image

Let us know what crosses you have, and we can make suggestions.

Carrot crossed with a strawberry anyone?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Well the initial idea is to cross, a watermelon and a cucumber, therefore the shell of the watermelon would be edible and the inside would be the same crisp watermelon everyone loves.
  • @Philippa i've been given the task to create a hybrid that would encourage children to eat healthier/fresher foods. In turn i was thinking of creating a fruit & vegetable hybrid. So i was wondering with current branding standards for fruit and veg how hard would it be to brand my product?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,193

I can't stand watermelon.imageimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,518

Is this a hypothetical hybrid - are you studying botany or marketing? image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• My apologies....I misread your original postimage

Wish you luck but can't quite see the reasoning behind your endeavour........image