Forum home The potting shed

Plant names

Is it wrong to be put off buying a plant because it's called something ridiculous? I'm trying to get past the fact that there is a really nice Heuchera I've admired called Cherry Cola.....nope!!! Can't get past it! image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,320

I have a hosta called "praying hands" which , as a devout Athiest nearly didn't get bought.

I've another called " Elvis lives" which is just about the weirdest name.

The Rose "sexy rexy" also annoys me slightly more than it should

Devon.

I bought a clematis called " Princess Kate" and I told the nursey owner " I'm buying it despite its name, not because of it" he laughed.

Devon.
  • Nice to know I'm not the only nut on here. Peach crisp is another one I like the look of but I loathe peaches. ...a heuchera by any other name... COOOO I've just spotted the moon! Spooky!

• Hosts fan I always think the rose Sexy Rexy should be grown with the rose Rambling ( rampant) Rector ????

• Does anyone ever tell you you're crooked HF? I take it as a compliment. Princess Kate indeed. Why would ya????

• I hate the name 'Sexy Rexy' too. I bought 'Natalie Nypels'insteadimage

re P. Kate. I did say "if she's as pretty as her Mother in Law, I'll be quite happy"

Devon.
  • There is that I suppose. Lookers both!

• I've got heuchera's key lime pie and creme brulee and my favourite one obsidian

• The KLP is gorgeous. It's nice against the darker purples.