Forum home Talkback

Identifying this bulb/seed?

Can anyone tell me what this is please?  I found them whilst digging up a bamboo but I'm pretty sure they're nothing to do with that!  Initially, they seem to be bulbs, with the usual fibres at the base, but they are opening, in the star shape. to reveal a spherical 'organ'(?) with a tiny hole in the top (almost like a puff ball).  Any ideas please,  Chrissie

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

They're fungi. I'm jealous, I always wanted some of those. I think they're called earth star or something like that. Someone will correct if not

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,635

Yes, one of the Earthstar fungi - couldn't tell you which one.

This is interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iQwKYi6ytg

You need to have the sound turned on. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Oh wow that's awesome, great vid too. Are they harmful?

No, not harmful - don't think they're edible tho.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you so much, all of you!  I thought it might be fungi 'cos it's so like a puffball.If you want some, Nutcutlet, you can have some, just let me know where to send them..., that's if they're transportable?  Can give it a try...

Thanks for the link, I've just watched it.  Like Linny said 'Awesome'!  That's definately what they are.  Should I treat them in some special way?  Or do I just leave them to do their own thing?  Chrissie

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I don't think they'll grow like that Chrissie but thanks for the offer. image

Leave them to do their own thing Chrissie and enjoy them as one of the wonders of nature - they may or may not reappear next year, if and when the conditions suit themimage

• They are beautiful, and they did emit a cloud of spoor ? When I touched one of the fruit ?. Thanks, I will appreciate them now that I know how wonderful they are. Thanks so much for the link, Dove.f.a it was an amazing video! Chrissie

Isn't Nature wonderful? image