Forum home Problem solving

what to plant

ive got part of the garden were it was wild ive not planted anything for a while as I was thinking of turning it into a veg plot , this part of the garden ive always been a little stuck in what to put can anyone advise on what sort of veg to plant this time of year if any image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,076

I'm not really a veg grower but if you give a few more details about soil, aspect and size, you'll get more suggestions image

It also depends what you like to eat! 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Garlic and broad bean 'Aquadulce Claudia' seeds. Possibly find some winter cabbagey type plants at your garden centre too.

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

Sprouts, parsnips.

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

I found my old moon planting manual and it says end of September plant cabbages, spring corn, winter lettuces outside in the ground.

October: Cabbages and spring lettuces.

November: Broad beans.

December: Broad beans.

January: Broad beans and spinach.

February: Parsnips, peas, spinach.

March: Artichokes, beans, broad beans, salad cress, mustard, orache, peas, spinach, watercress.

If you had a greenhouse or cold frame you could be a bit more adventurous.

• no it quite sunny in the day , It get a little shady after 3.00pm , im quite lucky that way... I have rhubarb already in my bushes would you believe  never stops growing in the summer I have some in the freezer for winter , I would be grateful for any advice on what to plant and when image

• lou12 what is moon planting image