Forum home Plants

Mixed hedging

Hi all, Im looking for some advice and suggestions for hedging at the bottom of my garden. I was thinking of a mixed native thorny type that would act as a good security hedge. Could you suggest a few types I could google that will look interesting if all mixed together?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,562

Hawthorn makes a good base and it stays where you plant it unlike blackthorn which suckers. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,159

Add a few  dog roses and the occasional holly for the robins to nest in.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • hedges direct do lists of mixed native hedges for different needs, flowered, berried, thorned etc. There are other suppliers and they generally give lists of percentages of each plant. Check them out and it'll give you an idea for a start. Nut is right about the suckers...I'm ripped to bits. You could use hawthorn as your base and add a few other spiney things pyracantha and the like for da birdies! I can boast the fattest blackbird in Britain on my Pyracantha!

• Thats all, sorry for my ignorance but what are suckers?
  • Sorry folks last message should have read "thanks all"
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,126

Suckers are shoots that grow from the roots of the plant. In the case of blackthorn (sloe) they can come up yards away from the main stem.

I would caution against using dog roses in your mixed hedge unless you are willing to keep trimming them back or you don't mind being snared by evil thorns on long, unruly stems.

• Suckers are new growth that creep along in a sneaky fashion and pop up over a bit from the original plant. I'm afraid I ignored mine for a while and had to cut them down last week. Blackthorn, as the name suggests, is very very thorny!!

• You made me laugh out loud! Have you noticed that the more they eat the more the branches droop. My boyo is nearly on the deck from 8 feet up!!!

Ritchie haven't forgotten your op. Watching the wildlife enjoy your garden is just brilliant. It's why I suggested having a thouroughly mixed hedge with thorns for the burglars, berries for the birds and maybe some flowers for the laaaydies! image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179

plant pauper wrote (see)

Blackthorn, as the name suggests, is very very thorny!!

ppauper- it's great for keeping out undesirables though  image

I have blackthorn  hedge round the front garden, but it has pavement (and paved path) on one side and grass on the other so the suckers get mown and, as yet, haven't been an issue. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Keeps me out! image Or in! Pends where I am at the time!image