Deep borders

what is the general consensus about garden bed depth? Is it 'deeper the better' or can you go too deep? 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,872

Depends how big your garden is, if you want a lawn, put the borders round the edge, any depth that suits your size. Personally I would like best part of my garden turned over to beds, OH has different ideas, he does cut the grass.

if you do just put the borders round the edge, i think bendy wavy curves are nice than straight lines.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,441

Do you mean depth as in vertically, or depth as in front of border to back? image

Front to back can be as big as you want providing you have the room - and the time -  to manage them. In fact, bigger always makes a better impact image

Vertical depth of a bed depends on what you grow and how you manage your borders. If you add manure or mulches you'll create a better medium for plants to grow in - and most will benefit from that. Around 6" to 12" is what most people aim for as that's about the depth of a spade image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,872

I never thought about the OP meaning digging deepimage

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• B3B3 Posts: 9,741

If you think your border is a bit too narrow after you've let your plants grow a bit, you can always nibble or chomp another bit off the lawn. It saves on mowing - that's what I tell the OH anyway.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • M FentM Fent Posts: 166

I mean depth as in front to back of border. but can borders look 'silly' say if you planted plants that only get 1foot sq in a 100ft square border or vice versa. Im not sure if im explaining properly. how do you go about getting the planting combinations to work and flow like the borders at these stately homes. 

Normally, I would automatically assume front to back Lyn - but I thought the query could be taken either way!  image

Not like me to be on the ball at this time on a Friday image

• B3B3 Posts: 9,741

I seem to remember Alan tichmarch doing a programme on planting. I think it was all about triangles. Maybe it's on you tube

In London. Keen but lazy.

With smaller plants you would normally plant in groups of 3, 5, 7 etc if you needed to fill a large border. In fact, that still applies with bigger plants too.  

Use repeat planting on along border as well  image