Forum home Talkback

What should I do with 1000 litres of horse manure?

I have managed to lay my hands on a free and apparently inexhaustible supply of horse manure from my cousin's riding school.  I know this is gold for composting but I wanted to get some tips on how to use it to my best advantage.  Some is new, some is aged up to 5 years - I seem to have a choice.

I have a lot of very hard, almost barren clay soil that just about manages to grow grass and shows deep fissures when dry.  I am excavating areas of this and moving it to other places in the garden to do some landscaping and also to prepare beds for veg.  I imagine I should use the younger manure to mix with the smashed up clay (it is a pick axe job!) but wondered if there was anything else I should mix in with it?  Someone is offering me wood-shavings; is this a good plan to mix in??  I do not mind waiting a few years while it breaks down...

The compost heap has been going well for the last 5 years but this is just grass and kitchen scraps.  Any advice on how I can use the horse manure in the compost heap to my best advantage?

Lots of questions I know image any advice appreciated!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

The old stuff I'd use as a mulch. The younger stuff, add it in layers to you compost heap along with the wood shaving. 

I've very jealous.

Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,446

There was a scare some years ago when manure was found to be contaminated with a very nasty and persistent weedkiller. Check that it never was part of this problem.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/6105899/Beware-manure-affected-by-herbicide.html

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • As your'e digging out the clay line the bottom of hole with a thick layer of the fresher stuff, then you can add back some of the clay to cover it. Then add the older stuff on top. By next year you should have some decent digable soil. The wood shavings can go in as well, it'll all rot down quite quickly and the worms will have a field day.

don't we all just love worms?

Or is that just me? image

Devon.
  • pansyface wrote (see)

There was a scare some years ago when manure was found to be contaminated with a very nasty and persistent weedkiller. Check that it never was part of this problem.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/6105899/Beware-manure-affected-by-herbicide.html

VERY poor reporting of something that is no more than a stab in the dark  "after a fair bit of head scratching, came to the conclusion that somehow the tomatoes had inadvertently suffered from spray drift, as they looked as though they had been treated with a lawn weedkiller." and then a quantum leap from what is a guess to a how it was done!   Furthermore "HORSE manure" wasn't even featured in this "report" of a "stab in the dark"

You probably ought to know that IF a paddock that's to be used for grazing is sprayed with a broad leaf weed killer that stock is kept off it ordinarily for a minimum of 3 weeks.  People tend to not want to kill their horsesimage

We bed our horses on sawdust (wood shavings) and so ours comes ready mixed.  It's REALLY exceptionally good for lightening up a clay soil and getting some good organic matter into the earth.     I use tonnes of the stuff but then we've got a huge stockpile of it for free.   My partner trains horses and runs an equestrian centre.  image

Nobody loves me

Everybody hates me

I think I'll go and eat worms.

Long thin skinny ones

Short fat juicy ones

Ones that wriggle and squirm.

You bite off the heads and suck out the guts

And throw the skins away.

This is how we live and thrive

On worms three times a day.

Anybody else ever sing that?

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=477

I'm only going by what I'm told.image

I love you pansyface.image

Devon.

not in a " let's get jiggy" kinda way, obviously

Devon.