Irrigation

I have been considering setting up a timer to water tomato plants for a while and am struggling with a problem.

If I use 4 LPH drippers, which seem standard then I will get 0.4L in 7.5 minutes but timers seem to expect timing programs that last 30 minutes and more - am I missing something

• lazy gardenerlazy gardener Posts: 317

Can I ask why you are doing this?

• SandLakeSandLake Posts: 23

I'm off on holidays soon but also my father was a keen greenhouse gardener and one of his pearls of wisdom was that you should be very exact in giving the same amount of water every day.

Not for tomatoes-they do better being kept on the dry side.

Have you a kindly neighbour?

Tried that with little success

Are you saying the amount of water should be variable depending on the conditions so that the plants are kept slightly dry?

Yes-constant water is not good -they do not need it

I thought that was what caused splitting - a surge in growth from a one-off over water

Not really-but you must do what you must do

How long are you leaving them?

Can you set the timer 24/48 hours apart and for a certain period?

I haven't looked at it in a while but there was something like 'for 6 minutes twice a day' or '8 minutes once a day'.

I was wondering if someone would suggest a 1LPH dripper which I could set for 30 minutes - but I have never seen such a dripper!

30 minutes a day is too much I think-I would suggest some experiments before you go

I am now completely lost on what you are trying to achieveimage