Forum home Fruit & veg

Sweet Peppers

I was a little late doing my peppers this year and due to that and the fact we have been a bit short of sun, I find I am left with 30 peppers which remain resolutely greenimage

I have previously ripened them successfully either on the plant or by hanging in the airing cupboard when necessary.  However, as far as I remember, the fruit had already started to "turn" so it was a case of finishing off.

I really want the greenhouse space now and just wondered if anyone had ripened green fruit off the plant ?  I have Bell, Palermo and Tasty Grill.  I do like green peppers and can always make use of them in various ways but would like a couple of red/orange ones to show for my effortsimage

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,235

If anyone provides an answer I'd love to know what it is. I have 78 of the little beggars, not one of them turning colour yet.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,327

Build a conservatory - worked for me but maybe a bit of an overkill! image

Seriously though, they need warmth, however you can provide it.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,235

But mine ARE in the conservatory.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,327

I'm sure they'll turn pansyface - mine are also behind this year but have started colouring up.  I grew Rainbow F1 this year and some plants are very odd - the peppers are dark purple as they form and grow, then go paler and eventually turn red.  Until the first one turned, I had no idea whether they were ripe or not! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Bob............"build a conservatory".........now why didn't I think of that ?image

I'll just have to hope summer begins soon.......next month preferablyimage

• granmagranma Posts: 1,835

Would it work like it does with tomatoes  I wonder .Putting banana skins under the fruit ? I have taken some peppers off the plant and mixed in with a dish of fruit in the kitchen window , it could work .........we shall see ..................

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,280

I don't find they ripen after taking them off the plant. It's a bit late now, i have some the same, I won't take them off the plants.

i do find sowing the seeds much earlier than you would normally do, helps, they seem to need a long growing season.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Granma..........let us know the instant yours start to ripen in the fruit dish.  I'm not convinced but will be really happy to be proved wrongimage

Lyn..........yes, they do need a long season......I just wasn't able to provide it this year...........bad management I guessimage

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    I know a small basket of green chillies all ripened just sitting on the worktop. Are peppers the same?