Forum home Plants

Need help/advice for taking and growing cuttings of neighbours acer tree please

Hi all 

My neighbour has the most beautiful acer tree in her garden, she could not remeber the name but after lots of research i found it was a full moon acer, anyway, she has said i can get some curtings to try and grow my own tree But i want to make sure i do everything right and make sure at least a couple of the cuttings grow. Any advice regarding how to take the cuttings, planting them and where to grow them once i have planted them would be brilliant, i do own a greenhouse if his is helpful.

i must say this is by far the prettiest tree i have ever seen and i am desperate to get my own growing!

any help would be brill, thanks chaps.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

I couldn't find an acer called 'full moon' (there is a flowering dogwood though), but there are several Japanese acers with 'moon' in the name (eg Acer palmatum 'Moonfire', Acer shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon'.) Assuming it is a Japanese acer, the RHS recommends taking softwood cuttings to propagate:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?PID=307

The other thing to try is buying a cheap acer from a supermarket etc and grafting.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thanks a lot, i will try the softwood cutting approach, worst case scenario i will have to Put my hand in my pocket and pay £20-£30 for one. Much obliged.

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,148

Acer shirasawanum is the latin name.

The common name for it is full moon maple!

There is even a named cultivar... a real beauty..Acer shirasawanum Autumn Moon.

It is a different species from Acer palmatum.

Most Acers are grafted.

Full moon maples are very very slow to get started.. but eventually get big.

A stunning and beautiful Acer.

It just hates to be in a windy spot in full sun... the leaves will scorch!

Worth buying from a good nursery... NOT CHEAP!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Acer+shirasawanum&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=J8WdUfyANYnoOpDCgJgB&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1010&bih=434

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .