Forum home Fruit & veg

Autumn Raspberries

Following on from my question the other day bout what sort of soil  raspberries should be planted in, I have decided to grow autumn raspberries as the summer ones are quite cheap to buy in the shops.

My question is which is the best variety out of Autumn Bliss and polka?

If you grow either one of these can you let me know, if you get a big crop and do they taste nice etc?

Thanksimage

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Hi I grow autumn bliss is a good grower and flavourimage
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,167

I grow both and slightly prefer Polka because they are bigger and less likely to disintegrate when picked. They also seem to produce a bigger crop. Autumn Bliss is fine though and both have a good flavour. I also grow All Gold, which has a sweeter, milder flavour and is quite fun to do things with because of the colour.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,749

I'm a big Polka fan .....masses of fruit and really tasty.  Never grown any others to compare it with though.

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

I grow autumn rasps, don't know what they called they were a gift from an old garden but most are golden. Really sweet, Tesco tried to market them a few years back but they didn't take off. Probably because of the colour?

because of the shocking summer and no heat, I haven't had a single one this yearimage

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,058

Polka for me too and, like SG I grow both.  Polka were bred from Autumn Bliss so are similar but with larger fruit and heavier crops. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Had an amazing crop from Polka, this is their second year. Also won First prize for them in my local show!

trevsy, very well done!

do you mind me asking which part of the country you in?

A A Milne
  • Northants.

Thanks, 

A A Milne
  • HarrersHarrers Posts: 48

HI everyone, thanks for your replies, I think I am gonna have to try Polka then,