Sowing poppies

Rich BRich B Posts: 97
Hi Is this the right time of year to sow my pap soms in the ground? Tazmanium and gigantium strain. I want a crop of poppy pods next spring and a second crop next summerish. I live in kent so winter is usually mild. I also have a 50ish pap som sprouts in pots in the shed and I'm not sure what to do with them as the pots are to small for them to flourish a d I know they don't like to be moved. I know these are opium poppies and I know I am not breaking the law. We need the large pods for an art exibission.... Any good poppy advise is good advice Rich

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,492

Papaver somniferum seeds itself at this time of year and seems to get it right most of the time so I guess we humans can merely copy what nature intended. As insurance, keep some seed for spring sowing just in case of disaster. As to keeping the young plants over winter, I'm afraid I can't give any advice about that because I always let my poppies do their own thing but I guess if you can keep them frost free and with reasonable light levels they should survive. They are tough creatures.

Looking forward to seeing photos of the exhibition.

• Rich BRich B Posts: 97

Thanks for that..

These are purchased seeds. i have just harvested my Oriental's seeds and will cast them hither and dither this week. This is the natural time, i just concern that they will sprout this autumn and will then have to deal with the winter as youngsters.

I have a growing lamp with witch i will try to keep the potted shedders over winter, Game of Luck.

Im sowing the Taz and Gig this afternoon.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 5,799

I am not quite sure how you will manage to get a crop of seed pods by next Spring, the Poppies will flower in the Summer.

Ah, but I was so much older then
    I'm younger than that now

Wont seeds planted in autumn flower in spring and planed in spring flower in summer????

• EsspeeEsspee Posts: 262

They will flower earlier and make bigger healthier plants if you successfully overwinter them but it will be summer before you get seed.

It just seems odd to sow just before it get cold.. But if thats what nature calls for thats what ill do...

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,895

It's what nature does. Flowers in spring/summer, drop seeds in Summer/autumn, germinate before or after winter, flower in spring/summer and so on round

That's a bit of a generalisation and doesn't apply to plants out of their natural habitat but near enough

• granmagranma Posts: 1,657

Just a thought..........

I love poppies I set a few seed in pots  whe n they are a decent size I plant the whole pot in the border  covering the rim. The roots find there own way out.

Are they in plastic pots  ?  instead of pricking them out can you carefully upturn the pot breakaway the plastic , then plant whole pot in the garden

If you  Can  give them any shelter in the garden  ?  Then this may work . 

It is colder here in Yorkshire but Idon't have any problem with poppies outside  side through winter  

i have just sowed my seeds into fresh new beds. i mixed sand and stones into my clay soil and turned the soil at a spade deep allover. the seeds in the pots are all sprouting well but i have moved them into the shed because of the rain(which has now gone and its going to be sunny all week..AAAGGGHh) .I think im going to keep them in the shed over winter with a lamp......

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 5,799

See what others think, but I can't imagine seedlings in a shed, even with a grow lamp are going to do well, if kept there all Winter.

Ah, but I was so much older then
    I'm younger than that now