Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Tomato blight

• Have you ever tried Rockdust? I use it for all crops and this year got fantastic new growth on my newly planted Beech hedge. I was speaking with a professional nurseryman who used Rockdust with alpines and Polyanthus. He noticed that where previously he had Botrytis [grey mould] enter the plant on dead leaf tissue and it would then spread to the living tissue, with the use of Rockdust the Botrytis still grew on the dead tissue but did not spread to the living tissue. So results with Rockdust appear to suggest that not only do yields and growth improve but so also does the plants ability to fend off disease. I wonder how plants grown with Rockdust would fare against blight. Does anyone have nay experience?
  • all my tomatos ended up with blight, both the free seeds from gardeners world, and some i bought in as plants. is there anything you can do to stop this happening again? its so disappointing when you go to all the trouble of growing and feeding them etc to lose them.
  • You probably know this, but many fungal problems occur when water splashes the soil around the base of a plant. I've had great success with tomatoes by suing a sterile mulch especially during the early months of growth. Happy gardening.
  • Can you eat tomatoes where the plant has blight and the tomatoes are green but not yet infected?
  • Cant you just use advanced nutrients
  • what do I do with the compost of a blighted crop
  • You should not use any material from a blighted crop of spuds or tomatoes, well for a good few years at least as the blight may succesfully remain viable in it. Very hot composting would kill it, but most of us don't relaibly achieve that in garden compost heaps/bins, so bin or burn is best really.
  • Have tried growing tomatoes for the first time.They are in very large terracotta tubs,and I have kept them watered and fed them with a liquid tomato food every week.They are money maker variety and on the container they came in it said they were alright for outdoors.They are against a wall with plenty of sunshine,and they are now bearing a really good crop on both plants.The first one we took off was very nice in taste,but the skins seem hard and stay in the mouth after we have eaten them there is no blight on the leaves.Where have I gone wrong,as I seem to have done everything it said on the container..Do we pick them when they are fully red,or wait until the literally drop off.Advice most welcome

Tony Tolan
  • [...] Tomato blight | Grow & eat | Gardening Blog | Talk | BBC Gardeners … [...]
  • I disagree with Pippa - the whole point of growing tomatoes is that they do not have that hard skin and have that delicious "English" tomato taste. I can remember when the only tomatoes we imported were from the Canaries and they had that musty taste - so unlike our home grown ones hich used to be available from every litte local shop. I agree with her children and | am well into my "retirement" years!! Let us cure or prevent Blight first without accepting sdecond class substitutes. I am not overfond of "marble" size tomatoes either.