Forum home The potting shed

Ideas on how Solve a Pet Problem Like this...

D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,799

Hi all and thanks for reading this post. My dog Shadow managed to escape from the garden yesterday and came across a field of sheep. Unfortunately he thought they were great playmates and frightened one to death and another one was injured as it tried to escape the field. I have had to pay (quite rightly) £500 compensation and also agree to have the dog destroyed or re-homed.We live in rural France and re-homing around here (away from sheep) is proving difficult if not impossible.

However, an offer of a home in Dunblane has been made by a very kind lady if we can just get him up there. I can only afford (in time and money) to get to Dover. I wondered if it would be at all possible to arrange a shuttle service via members of the forum to get him from Dover to Dunblane - or if anyone has any better ideas. 

Flying is not an option. His pet passport won't be valid for 3 weeks. If anyone knows anyone in France willing to offer a home that would be even better.

Open to any ideas of how to solve this problem, but 3 weeks is the limit of my window as the farmer and the gendarmes are breathing down my neck to get the dog removed and I am searching for a temporary foster home promising he will be gone in 3 weeks.

I have already gone down the route of placing ads in every charity locally (and further afield) and have been networking all morning. He is a beautiful dog, a black labrador, 18 months old and all chipped castrated, vaccinated etc. Family friendly, dog friendly, a bit scared of cats, loves water and children but chases sheep so cannot go anywhere near farmland.  Please feel free to comment on here and/or message me with any suggestions. 

"To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,799

Thanks Jo, will have a look now. image

"To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,799

Thank Jo, there are a few Linda Davy's on there but only one with lots of pictures of dogs, hope she was the right one. imageimage

Sounds right, I have sent her a message too so hopefully hear something. Feel so bloomin useless here, just want to get in the car and drive all the way to Scotland but I know I can't just do that! image

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,081

You must be heart-broken - how very sad.

I know that PPBC (Protecting Pre-loved Border Collies) do on occasion shuttle dogs around. I know yours is not a BC, but they may be able to help or offer advice.

http://www.protectingprelovedbordercollies.org.uk/

Or probably better, maybe worth having a word with Val from Valgrays (facebook) she works wonders and re-homes dogs from all over the place (inc Europe) with her countless contacts and friends.

Best of luck to you and Shadow xx

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Thanks Pete, I have messaged her. image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,413

I feel so sorry for you DD.

I'm not really a pet person , but clearly you're deeply upset and I can empathise totally with that.

I hope you find solutions to this, and soon, for your own peace of mind.

When I was a boy we had a dog shot by the local farmer as he appeared over the top of a hill with sheep below. He never bothered the sheep but my brother hadn't seen them so had no time to put the dog on the lead. 

The farmer came and said how sorry he was. His daughters went to school with my brothers and me. No ill feelings , he couldn't take the risk .

Give shadow a big old hug from me.

My dearest friends had to have their dog put to sleep a couple of weeks ago and it's still very raw.

Devon.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,081

good luck DD - keeping everything crossed for you

xx

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Thanks for the kind words Hosta, the alternative - having him put down -  just seems so unnecessary when out there somewhere is someone who can enjoy him.

I completely understand the farmers point of view and know we can't risk him getting out again, all way to close and it only takes a second for him to be gone if he really wants to get out. 

Getting a few responses to my e-mails so fingers crossed. image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,413

Keep us posted and all the very best to you. x

Devon.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.