Forum home Wildlife gardening

Flooding

I got all enthusiastic on the weekend and went to a lot of work to clear a space to make a rock garden. Last night it was just pouring here- I could here the water just coming down on the place where I had hoped to make the garden- run off from the eves trough. Do I skip the rock garden idea? or go for a small pond? I disturbed a few little frogs so thinking of just leaving the rest and creating a wildlife area for the frogs. Any suggestions welcome.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,288

To  each his own, but I'd go for a pond over a rock garden. 

Don't get me wrong , a good rock garden is a wonderful thing, but for every good one, I see hundreds of horrid " currant buns"

Take some photos and keep us up to date whichever way you go .

Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,551

Pond.  Much more fun and better for wildlife.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

and you've already got frogs who love to eat slugs. win win

Devon.
  • Hi,

You make me laugh! I don't know what you mean by 'currant buns' but can imagine. I am helping my elderly neighbour create a rock garden in a little space in his front garden that borders on mine- it is a bit of a current bun but I think it will look nice in the end.

I think I will attempt a pond- and maybe some sort of rock garden thing combined- will take some time today to look at a book I have on creating a wildlife garden.

Will it be best do you think to surround the pond with rocks and slabs where the frogs can hide to get away from the cats?

I will take some photos of both- my attempts and the rock garden in the front.
  • Okay thank you pond it isimage I didn't know that frogs ate slugs- I have huge disgusting slugs- the frogs will be huge!

I am really looking forward to getting started with this now.

Have been looking at my garden today- a bit over run but the wildlife love it- lots of animals- a family of hedgehogs all summer- I have never seen one before close up so it was really nice.

Thank you I look forward to discovering the joy of making my first pond and not having to worry about the slugs.

Pippin, the classic "currant bun" is usually created with the soil dug out from a pond, or building work then rock just kinda pushed in randomly. Horrible.

A rock garden should be 90% rock to mimic a natural rock outcrop in nature.

Devon.
  • Hi thanks for that- fortunately the one I could attempt would be the natural outcrop variety.

I have a lot of really nice big rocks in my garden from the previous tenant who went to a lot of trouble I think to use really nice big rocks in interesting shapes.

I used to work in a Chinese botanical garden so will see what I can come up with to make it look good.

How do I post photos on here?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,551

Click the tree icon and follow the select, upload and save procedure.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Will do! Wish me luck- if it ever stops raining here in Wild Wiltshire- I wont let that stop me - the true budding gardener that I am- just makes it more lovely to come in for a big cuppa after getting all cold and wet.

What a way to spend my day off!

Thanks all - watch this space for upcoming photos of My Wiltshire Wildlife Garden.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,022

Your enthusiasm will ensure a great result. All gardening is trial and error, most of us do not get it how we want it for years, if ever.

There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.