Forum home Problem solving

Killing off old tree roots

How can I kill of old tree roots once I have cut the old tree branches down to the ground

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,145

You can buy a stump killer, is it too big to dig out?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• e1lisee1lise Posts: 14

if it's in a suitable place light a bonfire over it, it may take several fires but it will burn away eventually

• Birdy13Birdy13 Posts: 595
    Depending on how big it is you might find the best option is to call in a stump fringing firm. I found a one-man firm ((all very properly trained and equipped) who was very reasonable. Used him twice - he dug down and under until able to harness root with straps attached to a hand operated winch (secured to really strong mature tree) and just wound it out of the ground.

A much larger willow was removed a few years back by cutting down and grinding the stump deep into the ground. The willow has not grown back at all.

Hope this helps.
    Just re-read my post. The typo 'stump fringing' should read 'stump grinding'. (I wonder what stump fringing means?)
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,145

Thanks for that info Birdy, I am about to remove a conifer hedge, are you on a predictive spelling keyboard? image I removed the facility.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Depending on which device I'm using, yes I am sometimes. Although my spelling is pretty sound I like to keep it - the results are sometimes quite interesting in the concepts it throws up.

For example, I've just thought: you might like to be aware that after grinding out an old stump various wood loving fungi may decide to colonise around the area ('fringing the stump?!)
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,878

You're right about the fungi Birdy, this one is on the site of a willow stump. I thinks it's beautiful though a lawn lover might disagree

tHAT'S aMAZING! (whoops! Caps Lock still on) What an incredible colour too! Any idea what type? Edible? How big across diameter?
    By the way, meant to ask someone: how do you include photos in these posts?

Couldn't do it when tried once before; I might have been on iPad at the time - would that make a difference?
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,878

It was big, at least 9 inches and I think it's pleurotus ostreatus, an oyster mushroom. Looks like the pic in Roger Phillips mushroom book. I wasn't sure enough to eat it though.