Leylandii any good for wildlife?

2»

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,168

Not hawthorn.  They grow huge very quickly.  Lots of lovely sorbus to choose from which will be good for wildlife and attractive and manageable.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Ah, ok, I always thought of it as a smallish tree but I guess I'm used to seeing it in hedges. I'm a sucker for that fresh green in the early spring but perhaps I'll give it a miss them. Ameliancher is a good suggestion (now I've researched it and know what it is ????) and il have a look at the sorbus varieties on offer! Exciting!
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,168

We planted a hawthorn hedge 12 years ago.  It still puts on 6' a year but we cut it back once a year and keep it to about 6' tall.  It's thickening nicely and has had birds nesting for the first time this year.  Up until now it's served more as a sparrow conference centre and shelter from occasional sparrowhawks.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Nice! I'll check it out. I like a hardworking shrub.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,978

I'd echo Sorbus ( the rowans as opposed to the whitebeams) and Amelanchier. The latter can be treated as a shrub or a small tree. Both are great for berries and autumn colour in particular  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....